Monday, October 22, 2007

Truck vs. Lens

I remember it like it was last week......maybe because it was. I am on a bridal shoot in Deep Ellum. We are having a blast about an hour into our shoot and about to wrap up with another location. MOB spots it, the perfect place for a picture. She thinks "the photographer needs to see this. It would be perfect. My daughter will love it." She is pre-visualizing the 24x30 canvas that she is going to hang on her wall already. Ok, so maybe I made that part up. Either way I walk around the corner from the alley we have been shooting in. She's right, this is it. We will get some great shots here. When out of the corner of my eye I notice the truck. The truck that is turning into OUR alley. The truck that doesn't even realize that the idiot photographer has placed her camera much to close to street. Thankfully he dodges it.......but what is that sound??? OH that would be my OTHER camera which is actually laying IN the alley. That's right, my Nikon D200 is laying in the alley with an 80-200 lens attached. I probably won't forget the sound of the crunch for at least another week :-). Much to my surprise the camera has escaped damage. Unfortunately we can not say that same for my lens. It has taken one for the team and is laying in about 10 pieces of which I picked up about 2. My first reaction is to cry but I held it together. After all it is only a lens, my camera is still functioning and I have a beautiful bride who is still going to need some pictures for her wedding and that 30x40 canvas going on her moms wall. We finished up our shoot and got some GREAT shots of Kristin. Then again it would be hard not to. She is one of those....the beautiful people. They were so encouraging and sweet about the whole thing. Never once did they call me a moron or idiot for laying my camera in the road. I can assure you I have many times since. 

Ever wanted to see what happens to a 80-200 lens when run over by a truck? Save yourself about $1000 bucks and I will show you mine.


Here is our bride and THE WALL..... 

1 comment:

Jan Garcia said...

Ouch!!! So sorry. I leave my stuff all over the place too. I know it's gonna happen sooner or later for me..